Analytics

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Widgets

Dicto-Draw-and-Tell-Gloss

I posted about the idea of using a Draw and Tell to differentiate a dictogloss the other day using a draw and tell story to review transition words the other day I did it and it worked out really well.

  • With my rowdy class I started by putting a text on the board. It said 
 READ THESE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY 
I will not be taking attendance right away. Please sit down and take out a piece of paper and a pen. When you are quiet, I will tell you a story. You should should NOT write down anything. Just listen to the story. I will begin when you are quiet. 

  • That worked better than it could have. They were quiet and ready within 5 minutes ( I was pleasantly shocked). Then I told them the story. 
There was a boy. He was young. He was three years old. He went on a walk. He was attacked by bees. He was scared. He ran away. They followed him. He jumped into a lake. He stayed there until the sun set. The bees went away. He went home. I was eating eggs and bacon. I was happy to see my dog. 

NOTE: This story, though brief, is actually pretty hard since it is purposely bland! SO keep it simple.


  • I told students to work on their own and try to recreate the story to be as close to the original as possible. They had 2 minutes. A few of them freaked out, but I let them know they would hear the story again. and they weren't expected to get it perfect.
  • After two minutes I told them the story again. This time I drew the dog that goes with it. I told them they had one more minute. Most students did NOT look at the board; however, I noticed some students looking up and using the picture to help them.
  • When the minute was done I told them to partner up and they spent the next 5 minutes working with someone else to recreate the text.
  • Finally students swapped their answers with another partner and I showed them the original text. They made corrections and the team with the least mistakes got bonus points.
  • I asked the students what was wrong with this text. THANKFULLY (as we had been studying transition words) they told me it was missing transition words.
  • Now, with their partner, had to re-write the text to include AT LEAST
    • 1 relative clause
    • 1 cause and effect transition word
    • 1 sequencing transition word
    • 1 contrast transition word
    • 1 addition transition word
    • (When students finished early I added other categories to get them to add to)
  • Finally we shared all the different ways the sentences could be combined.
This worked really well as a review of transition words, and we practiced general listening, reading and writing skills that would be on the exam. Even though the use of draw and tells is normally reserved for younger groups I think in this case it was a useful add on to help some students with the dictogloss. 


Would you ever consider using draw and tells with a dictogloss to differentiate?

2 comments:

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...