I altered it a bit and added another verse, but students really tend to commit it to memory. Here's the basic gist:
Now, using this to help students memorize subordinating conjunctions is great! But as always remember Bloom! Try to get them to use higher level thinking!
- Rewrite the song in your own words.
- Transition words can be divided into different categories (addition, contrast, comparison, etc.). Sort the subordinators listed above into their different categories.
- Find a song which uses them, and punctuate the lyrics correctly.
- Write a comic strip/short story which uses three of these (and punctuates correctly)
- Add another verse with missing subordinating conjunctions
- Make an acronym or initialism which will help you remember subordinating conjunctions.Make their own song (be in a rap, pop hit, etc.)
- What if a conjunction were a person. What kind of person would "if" be? What about "whenever"? Draw a personification of the word and explain it to the class.